Mindoro newsman’s slay ‘case cleared’ but not ‘case solved,’ PNP announced
POSTED: Monday, May 12th, 2014
CALAPAN CITY – The Philippine National Police has clarified that the killing of local journalist Vergel Bico in this city last year is one of the cases “cleared” in Oriental Mindoro but not yet “solved” as of the moment. However, the local PNP have already identified one person as the killer of the said newsman and in fact, a case of murder was already filed with the local court here.
Police Senior Supt. Ronaldo De Jesus, Oriental Mindoro PNP director has announced to newsmen in a press conference here that they have already filed a murder case against a certain Romano Kabula, reportedly a hired killer who shot dead Vergel Bico, a publisher-editor of a local newspaper in Oriental Mindoro, on September 4 of last year in Brgy. Pachoca, this city.
Although the PNP has already identified the suspect to justify police term that the said case was “cleared,” the same is not yet “solved” as the said perpetrator is still at large and police operatives are still on the process of arresting Kabula, who is reportedly still in the province.
De Jesus explained to members of Oriental Mindoro Capitol Press Corps that all cases or crimes which were officially recorded here for the first quarter of this year as “cleared” does not necessarily mean as “solved.”
From January to March of 2014, the local PNP’s crime blotter has recorded a total of 665 cases in their “crime volume” list and from this, they “only” solved some 102 cases, for crime solution efficiency rating (CSER) of 15.34.
Of this crime volume, the provincial police office under De Jesus has recorded “crime cleared” total of 197 cases, for a crime clearance efficiency rating (CCER) of 29.62 for the whole first quarter (January to March) of this year.
On Bico’s case, a warrant of arrest has been issued already by the Calapan City Regional Trial Court against Kabula, who is also has a standing warrant of arrest for another murder case issued last November 25, 2013. And while the PNP leadership here insists the suspect is a “hired killer,” it is mum on the real mastermind behind the slay of the said newsman.
On record, Bico also filed a case for child abuse against a former barangay chairman in this city. The case is still pending in a regional court here. A week before he was killed, an unidentified policeman approached Bico and cautioned him to drop the case or else something negative may happen. The newsman put this particular incident on the police blotter.(By JUANCHO R. MAHUSAY)